- Before 2011, the year when all health science faculties and programs were gathered under the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, and since 2006, the department was run as the office of deputy Dean (of Faculty of Medicine) for biomedical sciences.
- From 1999 (when Faculty of Medicine was established at ANNU) till 2006 (when clinical stage was run independently by the faculty at ANNU) the work of Faculty of Medicine was merely concerned with basic biomedical sciences.
- In 2011 it was established as the Department of Biomedical sciences.
- Two main health programs are now offered by the department, namely: Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences and Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Sciences.
- Before the academic year 2020/2021, our department was also running the programs of Optometry and "Biophysics and Medical Imaging", which by that year were transferred to the newly established department of "Applied and Allied Medical Sciences".
- On the other hand, this department offers all biomedical sciences courses necessary for all other health programs in the Faculty of Medicine and Helath sciences, hence hosting most Faculty courses and huge human power.
- Microbiology, Immunology and Pathology.
- Anatomy, Biochemistry and Genetics.
- Physiology, Pharmacology, and Toxicology.
- Public Health.
Dr. Rami Zagha