In 2006, the Institute of Forensic Medicine was established and equipped with the latest instrumentation and technical equipment. This much-needed Institute is the cornerstone of the University Teaching Hospital which is slated to be built shortly. The Institute serves to educate its students in addition to providing services to the public free of charge.
The Institute’s philosophy is based on providing the following:
- Medical expertise directly to the different judicial systems including civil judicial systems or military judicial systems, as well as forensic judiciary with respect to all criminal cases related to assault on individuals.
- The Institute offers technical experiences in the field of judicial autopsy.
- Investigating crime scenes.
- Dealing with emergency cases.
- Holding workshop about forensic medicine which aim to educate the doctors of the different medical centers and emergency about the importance of the judicial medical reports that serve justice.
- Participating in executing training courses for the newly resident physicians or doctors.
- Organizing workshops and training for the workers in the fields of judiciary, attorney general, judicial institute, in addition to training students of Law through specially-prepared lectures.
The Institute’s Departments:
- Autopsy Department: this department is made of a special room for autopsy which is equipped with the cutting-edge, highly efficient modern medical equipments. This department is hocked to a video conference technology along with a large hall that can host more than 90 persons. The Department of Autopsy provides services to the students of Medicine, Law. Nursing and Pharmacy.
- The Forensic Chemistry Laboratory Department: this lab specializes in testing serological and microscopic samples that are related to blood serum, blood groups, sperm, hair and others. Its also tests samples taken from corpses to identify diseases, as well as testing bodily fluids. Hypnotic materials, poison and gunpowder, however, are tested at the University-based Poison Control and Drug Information Center.
- Radiography Department: the Institute of Forensic Medicine also contains a special department for radiography which is equipped with the latest medical devices. This department was established according to modern international standards and public safety measures